The Maharashtra government told the Supreme Court on Tuesday that it had no objection to the transfer of the 2020 Palghar mob lynching case of two Hindu sadhus to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
The Maharashtra government led by Eknath Shinde said in an affidavit that it was ready and willing to hand over the investigation to the CBI and there would be no objections.
The state of Maharashtra has filed the affidavit on the motions arising from the ill-fated attack and lynching of two sadhus and requesting the transfer of the investigation of the case to the CBI to carry out an independent and impartial investigation.
The pleas have asked for a CBI or court-monitored Special Investigation Team (SIT) investigation into the incident which occurred in Palghar district in April 2020.
Earlier, the Maharashtra government told the supreme court that an investigation had been completed in the Palghar lynching case.
The Maharashtra government had previously informed the Supreme Court that all the guilty police officers had been punished or suspended from their services
Earlier, the Supreme Court requested the Maharashtra government to place on file the indictment and investigation details against the police officials in relation to the Palghar mob lynching incident.
The pleas also called for a CBI investigation and the registration of an FIR against police officers for their alleged failure to prevent crowds from gathering in violation of lockdown standards.
On the night of April 16, 2020, two sadhus and their driver were traveling from Kandivali to Mumbai to attend a funeral in Surat of Gujarat amid the nationwide lockdown when their vehicle was stopped and they were attacked and killed by a mob in Gadchinchile village of Palghar in the presence of police.
(Only the title and image of this report may have been edited by Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)